03 September, 2006

Grandads Life

Grandads Tree at Daws Hill FarmI had Friday off work so that me and Zena could go back home to say our farewells to Grandad. It was really good to see all of my family in one place, even it was for such a sad occasion.We all gathered at Homestead Farm, and then went down to Worcester Crematorium for the service. That was followed by a church Service at St Peters in Powick, a fabulous church from the 15th Century. The church was packed, which goes to show how much my Grandad was respected in the community. Grandad was born Herbert Ivan Grizzell in 1922, and he left school at 14 to work on the family farm at Daws Hill with his brother Geoff. Geoff went off to WW2 and unfortunately perished at Anzio Beachhead, leaving Grandad to run the farm with his cousin Trevor. He met my Nan, Mary at a dance after WW2 and they soon married. Jillian, Jennifer, Josephine and Geoff were soon born. Grandad was a farmer all of his life, mostly sheep, but he helped other farmers at Harvest. He 'retired' in 1987, but still assisted Geoff on the farm. That was until Nan had a stroke and he became her primary carer. He himself suffered a stroke a few years later, which affected his speech. He died 18th August 2006.

I remember when me and my brother, and our cousins would be at the farm and play games around the machinery. I remember you taking your teeth out, and scaring us. I remember your seat in front of the TV, and the picker to collect your sweets. I will always remember you... x

His ashes were spread at Daws Hill farm on 1st September. I love you Grandad. RIP

0 comments:

Post a Comment